2018: Year of The DogFebruary 27, 2018
The Herbs in Our Products Are Good for Humans Too!March 14, 2018
Parasite Cleanse, with Herbs!
Humans have been using herbal parasite cleanses for thousands of years. Studies have shown that some animals and insects use herbs as a parasite cleanse. Chimpanzees and other animals look for certain plants and leaves as treatment against parasites. Even caterpillars eat toxic herbs to purge themselves of parasites. Herbs work well as a parasite cleanse because they perform many roles in the body. Many herbs that work to kill parasites also soothe the stomach and help digestion.
Why an Herbal Parasite Cleanse?
The main reason that most pet parents want to avoid de-worming drugs are the side effects. These types of drugs can be very hard on our pets, even to the point of being fatal. The FDA lists adverse effects for de-worming chemicals and there are many reported deaths. Another issue is that chemicals usually don’t have more than one action so drugs often combine active ingredients. Parasite cleansing herbs do have many actions which help to make them more effective. For example, black seed (also called black cumin seed) is anti-parasitic and carminative. While an herb might cause some stomach upset while killing parasites, it also soothes and supports digestion. Scientists are starting to look to herbs for their anti-parasitic qualities, but also because they have actions that work on parasites in multiple ways. They also work on parasitic protozoa, single-celled organisms, like giardia and coccidia.
Popular Herbs for a Parasite Cleanse
- Wormwood – Artemisia absinthium: Traditionally, Wormwood has many applications, many of which have been well studied. It is mostly used for it’s bitter taste which helps to stimulate digestion. It is one of the most powerful remedies for worm infestations, particularly roundworm and pin worm. This herb is loaded with essential oils which help to sooth digestion and break down gas.
- Black Walnut Hulls – Juglans nigra: Related to the edible English walnut but with a higher concentration of omega-3s and nutrients. Black walnut has a strong effect against Candida albicans, a yeast-like fungus that can cause yeast infections and digestive problems. It’s anti-fungal action makes it useful against Athlete’s foot, ringworm, and other fungal infections. Ingredients in black walnut help to make the gut less hospitable for parasites and protect the digestive tract. It is shown to relieve both constipation and diarrhea. Black walnut also has a high antioxidant content. This works to protect the body from free radical damage and boost the immune system.
- Black Cumin Seed – Nigella sativa: Another powerful anti-parasitic herb, studies are showing that it may be helpful in fighting antimicrobial resistant bugs as well. It’s anti-fungal, making it useful against candida and other fungal infections. The essential oils in black cumin aid in digestion, decreasing gas, bloating, and stomach pain. High levels of antioxidants and nutrients help to balance immune function. Black seed helps to speed healing of the intestines without scarring. Scarring can permanently reduce the body’s ability to absorb nutrients.
Gut Support for a Parasite Cleanse
- Carminative herbs: These are herbs that promote digestive function. They sooth the gut, relax cramping, and break down gas in the intestine. Examples of carminative herbs are: Fennel, Chamomile, Peppermint, Anise, Ginger
- Probiotics play an important part in protecting the gut from parasites. These “good bacteria” compete with parasitic organisms for space in the intestine. They influence the immune system in the gut and some even produce chemicals that kill parasites. It is important to supplement with a variety of probiotics, especially during a parasite cleanse because anti-parasitic compounds can also kill good bacteria.
- Mucilage is a slippery, gel-like substance that can be used to soothe and protect irritated tissues in the body. It can absorb toxins, reduce intestinal irritation, feed good bacteria, and act like a gentle laxative. Mucilage is also highly nutritious and helps to negate malnutrition side effects of parasite infestation.
There are many options for an herbal parasite cleanse. It is a good idea to ensure that whatever formula you use as a natural parasite cleanse is well-rounded. It should contain herbs that target parasites, herbs to soothe digestion, and something to heal and protect the gut. NaturPet D Wormer is a balanced approach to natural deworming. With herbs that target parasites and work to break down gas and reduce bloating NaturPet D Wormer is an all-in-one parasite cleanse.